Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Large Catechism: The Fourth Commandment Part 1

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Fourth Commandment Part 1: Click here and read 104 - 113.

The basics:
- Thou shalt honor thy father and thy mother.
- The role of father and mother have been given special distinction above all other roles.
- To honor means to both in heart and body act as to show that we esteem one very highly, so highly that next to God, one is esteemed highest.
- However lowly, poor, or frail the father and mother are, they are given by God.  They are not to be deprived of their honor because of their failings.
- Parents are the most precious treasure on earth.  We are to serve them, help them, provide for them when they are old, sick, or poor, and act gently and honorably toward them.
- Any command given by God is far nobler and much better for us than anything we devise for ourselves.  Therefore, we know that honoring the father and mother above all others is best for us, even when we recognize their failings.

My thoughts today:
My mother is reading this.  So, Mom, this is to you (and you can read it to Dad, too).

I really really really stink at the Fourth Commandment.  I have failed to listen to you as I should.  I have failed to care for you the way you deserve as my mother and father.  I have failed to, both in heart and body, act as to show the esteem I hold for you.

I know you see your own faults.  I know you think you have failed me at times.  The truth is watching you live life as a sinner and saint has made me better at confessing my own failures.  God works through you as a parent, and through you He has taught me how to forgive and how to be forgiven.

Parents are the most precious treasure on earth.  You, my mom and dad, are my most precious treasure on earth.  I don't always act that way.  I don't always say it.  I don't always show it.

I will fail at recognizing what a great treasure you are again and again.
Maybe you can just bookmark this page on your desktop, and remind me of it when I get a little rebellious...