Monday, September 15, 2014

Large Catechism: The Third Commandment Part 2

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Third Commandment Part 2: Click here and read 87-93.

The basics:
- To sanctify the holy day is the same as to keep it holy (to be occupied in holy words, works, and life).
- Sanctification of the holy day does not happen while sitting idly with folded hands doing no work.
- We should rightly keep everyday holy, but the holy day is set apart to be a rest and to be concerned with holy things alone (the Ten Commandments, the Creed, the Lord's Prayer, etc.)
- Luther speaks out against using relics to make one holy.  He talks against thinking a pile of saint bones can sanctify anything, but holds up God's Word as the sole way of keeping a day and a person holy.
- "At whatever hour, then, God's Word is taught, preached, heard, read or meditated upon, there the person, day, and work are sanctified thereby, not because of the external work, but because of the Word, which makes saints of us all."  Paragraph 91.

My thoughts today:
Keeping the Sabbath holy is a pretty hard thing for me in this stage of life.  The Sabbath day ends up being somewhat chaotic, rushed, and tiring.  I have three children four-and-under.  I am married to a pastor who has two churches.

My pew doesn't seem very holy most Sundays.

But here Luther reminds me what sanctifying the holy day means.  It means hearing the Word taught and preached.  It means focusing on the Ten Commandments, the Creed, and the Lord's Prayer.  Sometimes between two potty breaks, a blow-out diaper, busy hands with crayons, a ripped hymnal page, and 16 dropped toys, I don't really feel like I heard much of anything.

But God's Word isn't like some speech you go to and decide what to hear and what to avoid.  God's Word, preached rightly, is living and active and creates faith in you.  Sure, it is best when I can actually recount some of the basics from a sermon.  Sure, it is pretty awesome when I get to say the words of the Creed with my children.  Sure, it is REALLY rough when I feel embarrassed by the behavior of my children and even more embarrassed by my own behavior in retaliation.

But you know what? God's Word is promised to me in the Divine Service.  Whether I feel it really makes no difference.  Feelings are fickle.  Feelings don't give the gifts of Christ.

The Third Commandment is given to us so He can give to us.  He gives so much in the Divine Service - to me and to my squirmy children.  He gives faith.  He gives life.  He gives salvation.  He gives forgiveness.  He gives His Body and His Blood.  He gives to all those people in the pew (or under or on or around or wherever the toddler may be during the service).

I guess my pew really is holy.