Thursday, September 11, 2014

Large Catechism: The Second Commandment Part 3

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Second Commandment Part 3: Click here and read 69 - the end of the Second Commandment.

The basics:
- Where children are able to do as they are pleased, no good results.  Luther denounced the whole world as being full of "unbridled men," and expressed the need for strong discipline.
- Children should be trained to always have God's name on their lips; for what begins and reigns in the heart is then expressed through the lips.
- The devil cannot remain where the Lord's name is called upon rightly.  We should be using it as protection and praising it for even small gifts.
- We should be in the habit of daily commending our selves, our bodies, our souls, our families, and our lives to God.  This can be done in ritual prayers in morning, at meals, at bed, and through crossing ourselves when we experience fear or see danger.
- We are to train our children in the first two commandments.  Luther is not against punishment by the "rod," but he says that if their obedience is strictly due to this, then they will fail to bear fruit after the rod is gone.  We must train with discipline and with kindness.

My thoughts today:
"Little cornfields have big ears."  You ever heard that?  Maybe it is just a saying in the corn states, but it is oh so true.  There is not much that comes from my mouth that doesn't soon come from my children's mouths.  They hear everything.

I kind of hate to admit that sometimes.
Oh, it is great when they say "thank you" on their own.
Or, you know, when they answer a question in an adult Bible study that no one else knows.

But it isn't so great at other times.  You can make your own guesses as to what I am speaking...

Anyway, my point is this - when I sin through my mouth, I am taking the Lord's name in vain.  I claim with this same mouth my Christianity.  I claim with this same mouth my faith.  Then, I sin with it.  And what comes from my mouth, was originated in my heart.  And what comes from my mouth will soon come from my children's.  And what comes from my children's mouths, will soon take root in their hearts.  And there it will bear fruit.  With the help of God, it will bear good fruit.

So, I confess regularly in front of them, hoping that they too will confess they are poor, miserable sinners.  Train children in the fear and reverence of the Lord.  Easy to say.  Hard to do.  We will daily continue to call upon His name to aid us in this monumental task.