Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Large Catechism: The First Commandment Part 1

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The First Commandment: Click here and read through paragraph marking 12.

The basics:
- Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
- We are to expect all good from and turn in all distress to the one true God.  If we turn to anything else, we have made that our god. That which you set your heart and put your trust is properly your god.
- Examples of other gods are given - money, possessing skill, friendships, etc.
- Luther discusses the seeking of and praying to saints in the Papacy as a form of creating gods.

My thoughts:
Wow.  I think I need some private confession and absolution after reading this. Luther's explanation of this commandment is so clear, straight, and focused.  What I set my heart on is my god.  What I turn to in distress is my god.  It seems I have made for myself quite a few gods.

I have to quote something from this reading, because there are no better words (emphasis added) -

"Therefore it is the intent of this commandment to require true faith and trust of the heart which settles upon the only true God, and clings to Him alone. That is as much as to say: 'See to it that you let Me alone be your God, and never seek another,' i.e.: Whatever you lack of good things, expect it of Me, and look to Me for it, and whenever you suffer misfortune and distress, creep and cling to Me. I, yes, I, will give you enough and help you out of every need; only let not your heart cleave to or rest in any other."

Those are some pretty powerful words.
Require true faith and trust.
The only true God.
You let Me alone.
Never seek another.
Expect it of Me.
Look to Me.
Whenever you suffer.
Creep and cling to Me.
I will give you enough.
Let not your heart cleave to or rest in any other.

Yep.