Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Large Catechism: The First Commandment Part 2

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The First Commandment Part 2: Click here and read 13-25.

The basics:
- The first commandment calls us to cling to God with the heart.  To cling to God with the heart is to trust in Him entirely.
- This commandment is given to us because God wishes to turn us away from everything that exists outside of Him and draw us to Himself, because He is the only eternal good.
- It is easy to see in the world that everyone throughout time has set up his special gods (whatever he looked to for blessings, help, and comfort).
- Luther gives us examples of gods, and states that this worshiping of false gods is not just in graven images and idols but in the heart.
- The conscience seeks through its own works help, comfort, and salvation.  Luther discusses our tendency to count the number of times we have fasted or attended mass, and our inability to accept anything (even church) as a gift from Him.  Instead we count attendance as our own merit, and therefore set up our own god within ourselves.
- We should remember this simple meaning of this commandment - we are to trust in God alone, look to Him and expect of Him nothing but good.  From God we receive all good and are delivered from all evil.

My thoughts today:
Here's a newsflash, Kelly - God doesn't give us the Law to be a mean ole papa.  He doesn't want to kill our fun and give us a ton of rules because He's the boss.

Sometimes as a mother, I give rules just because I'm the boss.  Sometimes I totally make rules because it is best for ME if they do what I say.  What can I say?  I am a mother who also happens to be a sinner.  Have mercy on me, a poor sinful being.  But God isn't a sinner.  Luther says we are to EXPECT from God all good things.  We expect from God all good because God IS indeed all good.

But saying What God Ordains is Always Good (a hymn found here), is a whole lot easier when you feel like God is giving you all good things.  It doesn't feel good when I am lonely.  It didn't feel good when our unborn child died.  It doesn't feel good when someone else gets something I thought I needed.  That is when human feelings and understanding will get you.

Our oldest son has some very anxious moments.  He doesn't like change or uncertainty.  When he feels uncertain about something, he begins questioning us repeatedly about what is happening.  We try our best to answer his questions and calm his fears, but sometimes we simply have to say, "Honey, we need you to trust we are doing what is best for everyone.  Can you trust us?"  Sometimes he says yes, sometimes he doesn't.  It is in those moments I am reminded of my own anxiousness toward God.  But where I have failed as a parent and deserve distrust at times, God has not.  My mind will never quite understand how something which feels so bad to me can be good from God, at least it won't understand it on this side of eternity.  And that is why I keep sinning against the first commandment - I do not expect all good from God.

And yet I am thankful He keeps giving me all good.