Thursday, September 25, 2014

Large Catechism: The Fourth Commandment Part 7

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Fourth Commandment Part 7: Click here and read 166 - the end of the Fourth Commandment.

The basics:
- Luther spends this section discussing the father and mother's [and all authorities'] responsibilities to those they are given.
- God does not give authority to rulers and children to parents for them to rule over them as tyrants and to gain their own power, but to guide those under their care to Him.
- We all act as if children were given to us for our own pleasure or amusement, and servants given to us so we employ them as cattle.  We do not act as if God has commanded us to raise them in the fear of the Lord.  We will be asked to give an account as to our raising of those under our care.
- We must spare no diligence, time, or cost in teaching and educating our children so they may serve God and the world.  He has given us children so we may train and govern them according to His will.
- By neglecting to raise your children to usefulness and piety, you bring upon yourself all sin and wrath by your own children.  We see the effects of neglecting these commands in our world, and yet we fail to see it is our own fault.

My thoughts today:
In the daily pressures of being a mother, I sometimes almost always forget I have only one real job here.  Or at least, I have only one job that really matters.

Sure, my hands clothe, feed, snuggle, bandage, educate, and otherwise care for these little people, but God has promised He will take care of their daily needs.  From me, He commands I raise them according to His will.  He commands I train them in His ways.  Together, with my husband and all those in authority over them, I am commanded to teach them the first three commandments, from which all others will flow.

I am a mother and I am a godmother.  I have only one job, and yet, I am not able to complete it by my own will.  It is by the grace of God and through Him that I am able to witness my children's faith.  It is a gift bestowed on my children because of the death of His Child.

People often talk of the "mommy wars," and there certainly is no shortage of blogs telling you exactly how to raise your children within every possible lifestyle imaginable.  While I have my own opinions about what is right and wrong in raising a child [and I do have lots of them and I do think people are right or wrong in many cases], the truth is only one thing matters.

Did you raise them in the one true faith?
Within this question, there are so many more -

Do they know how to make a case for why they believe what they believe?
Do they know how to ask for, receive, and give forgiveness?
Do they recognize sin when they commit it or see it?
Do they know Christ's death was for them because of their own sinfulness?
Do they believe the words of the Apostle's Creed?

The burden for teaching this is far too heavy for me to carry.  My husband and I pray often for our own wisdom and strength in raising children in the faith.  And believe me, we have failed many times, and we will continue to fail as we raise these gifts God has given to us.

So, if you want to have a mommy war, make it be over that which really matters.
Wage a mommy war on your own failure to raise your children in the fear of the Lord.
That is a battle worth having, and the best part is you never fight it alone.
Actually, the whole war was already won for you.

The sad truth is children [and once they are grown] adults have the ability to turn away from the faith.  Luther reminded me here that I earnestly desire to keep my battles where they should be kept - fighting the battle of raising them to fear the Lord.