Thursday, September 4, 2014

Large Catechism: The First Commandment Part 3

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The First Commandment Part 3: Click here and read 26-28.

The basics:
- Anything we receive from any man or woman is indeed from God.
- Parents, rulers, and every neighbor have received the command from God to give us all manner of good, and we receive these blessings not BY them but THROUGH them from God.
- We should not presume to take or to give anything except as God has commanded, because it is His gift to be given.  If we do, we are not receiving from God but seeking for ourselves.
- If your heart clings to God in all distress and expects all good from Him, you have the one true God.  If you cling to anything else in distress, you have an idol.

My thoughts today:
"For even though otherwise we experience much good from men, still whatever we receive by His command or arrangement is all received from God.  For our parents, and all rulers, and every one besides with respect to his neighbor, have received from God the command that they should do us all manner of good, so that we receive these blessings not from them, but, through them, from God."

This is such an excellent reminder of the One who is the giver of all good gifts.  My husband, my children, my parents, my family, my friends, my church family - they all provide such marvelous gifts.  Here, Luther reminds us these gifts are given through the hands of those God has given us.

I have a tendency at times to make my husband my god.  That may seem weird, but go with me here.  In times of distress, in all times of need, in daily pressures, where do I turn?  Who do I expect to give me comfort?  Who do I depend on more than any other?  My husband.

Luther reminded me to find my comfort in the gifts HE provides me THROUGH my husband.  It may just seem like semantics, but I truly believe this takes an enormous amount of pressure off of my husband's shoulders.  He is the bearer of gifts from One greater than he; he is not the creator of good gifts for me.  And I for him, as well.

In my role as wife and mother and daughter and friend and church member, God gives the gifts to those around me.  I am simply the hands blessed to bear such gifts.