Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Large Catechism: The Fourth Commandment Part 5

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Fourth Commandment Part 5: Click here and read 143 - 151.

The basics:
- Servants are to obey and also honor those they serve.  In their work, they should be content because they know they are honoring God's commands.
- Instead of honoring father and mother and those who rule over us, we have run to do good works in the church through pilgrimages or pay indulgences to the church as a form of work for God.  God commands the work of honoring father and mother.  Indulgences and pilgrimages do not clear the conscience.
- If you perform your daily domestic tasks, your work is just as good to God as that of the monks.
- "For in the sight of God faith is what really renders a person holy, and alone serves Him, but the works are for the service of man."  Paragraph 147.
- Obedience to government is included in obedience to father.  For through them, as through our parents, God gives us gifts.  It is our duty to honor and esteem them as great treasures.
- When we are disobedient in regards to this command, what we seek outside of His command and what we deserve is paid back to us - war, pestilence, famine, tyrants, etc.

My thoughts today:
If I could only choose one sentence to explain vocation to someone, I would choose Martin Luther's words in paragraph 147, "For in the sight of God faith is what really renders a person holy, and alone serves Him, but the works are for the service of man."

It is unlike me to only choose one sentence about anything, though, so I shall go on...

The works God has placed for me on this earth are here for service to others.
It may be changing a diaper.
It may be cooking a meal.
It may be writing a blog encouraging others to read the Large Catechism.

The point is, these works are for the benefit and service of man.  I can do nothing for God.  If I could, He would not have had to die for me.  He gives me a vocation so HE can serve others through my hands.  He has set me up as a mother, so my children will receive gifts from Him.  He has given me a mother and father, government, pastors, and all in authority over me, so He can give me gifts.

He does all the work.  I don't do good work.  In Martin Luther's words, the only thing which serves Him is my faith.  And incidentally, He gives that, too.

In my vocation, in my life, and in my faith I am weak.

"...I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9.