Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Large Catechism: Introduction Part 3

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

Introduction Part 3: Read paragraphs 14-20.

The basics:
- We are a sinful bunch - people who know we live with the devil and all enemies and yet we fail to see the importance of daily repetition of the sword He gives us - His Word.
- If we think we are beyond the daily studying of the LC, than we are calling ourselves more educated than even God Himself, as He is the One who teaches these same lessons day after day.  He needs nothing new, and neither do we.
- If we knew the Ten Commandments perfectly, we would know Scripture perfectly.  Luther calls the entire Psalter thoughts and exercises of the First Commandment, and he refers to the Catechism as a brief summary of all of Holy Scripture.

My thoughts today:
I love when someone points out how awesome I think I am.  It really brings me back to real life.  The basics of the faith seem just that - basic.  Except the more I learn about them, the less I know.  The more I learn about what sin is, the greater I see my sin.  The more I learn about Christ's death on my behalf, the more I seek out knowing about the Gospel. It is good for the soul.  

The basics are not basic as in easy.  They are basic as in a necessary foundation which must be daily reviewed and studied. Daily reviewed and studied even when we don't think we need to anymore. No, actually ESPECIALLY when we don't think we need to anymore.