Monday, August 25, 2014

Large Catechism: Introduction Part 1

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

Introduction Part 1: Read paragraphs marked 1-6.

The basics:
- The LC is for all Christians, but specifically written for pastors and preachers.
- Luther calls out all pastors who find the studying of the catechism to be unnecessary.
- Luther calls out all Christians who think they can learn the catechism once and move on with life.
- Luther speaks against the idea of being able to learn the faith simply from a book and neglecting our duty of listening to our pastors.

My thoughts today:
Being Lutheran is awesome.  I feel incredibly blessed to be a part of a church body with an educated clergy.  Not every church body can say that today.  But, as Luther reminds us here, even the most educated pastors are not done learning the LC.  You should expect your pastor to be extremely knowledgeable about the LC.  He should read it often.  He should study it.  You should find him in his office with his nose in the Book of Concord often.  Don't be tempted to say, "What is he doing just reading?  He should be out spreading the Gospel!"  For indeed, he should be doing that, as well.  But of what use is the spreading of a Gospel by a pastor who is not filled with the correct language of the faith?  Just as Luther says, your pastor has the responsibility and privilege of reading the LC, reading the Bible, and praying for you.  That is his job.  His calling.  He is your shepherd.  So, encourage your pastor in the faithful reading of the LC.  Ask to have a study around it as a church.  Read it yourself.  Ask him questions about it.

I have failed at this.  I consider myself a relatively educated layperson, but I have yet to read hardly any of the Book of Concord.  I often say that Lutheranism gave me a really great pair of glasses to read the Bible.  The language of the faith and the pure understanding of the tenants of the faith focus our eyes when reading Scripture.

I have really bad theological vision, and therefore, I am thankful for the gift of a pair of glasses.
I perceive that through this study of the LC, I will be getting a much higher prescription.