Monday, October 20, 2014

Large Catechism: The Apostles' Creed Introduction

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Apostles' Creed Introduction: Click here and read 1-8.

The basics:
- The explanation of the Creed follows the Ten Commandments so we are able to properly understand what we are to receive and expect from God.
- The Ten Commandments are set so high that no man is strong enough to keep them.  If he could, he would need nothing else - no creed, no Lord's Prayer, etc.
- Before explaining the necessity of the Creed for use in aiding us with the Ten Commandments, Luther says "it is sufficient at first for the simple-minded that they learn to comprehend and understand the Creed itself."
- The Creed can briefly be comprehended in these words: I believe in God the Father, who has created me; I believe in God the Son, who has redeemed me; I believe in the Holy Ghost, who sanctifies me.

My thoughts today:
I love how Luther keeps reminding us that the basics of the faith are to be learned by everyone - no matter their age or ability.  He uses the term "simple-minded" quite a bit, and while that can seem somewhat offensive at times, it is the truth.

We are all a little simple-minded in the faith.  We are all in constant need of hearing and reading the exact same things over and over.  I would call that pretty simple-minded.  Part of this need comes from the fact that God's Word is active and actually makes changes in us as we digest it - figuratively in our reading of Scripture, and literally in our receiving of the Lord's Supper.  The other part of this need comes from the fact we are sinful and cannot by our own power follow even one command.

Our sinful flesh is pretty simple-minded.  And so, this, Luther tells us, is how we are to learn the faith and how we are to teach it to our equally simple-minded children.