Friday, October 10, 2014

Large Catechism: The Eighth Commandment Part 4

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Eighth Commandment Part 4: Click here and read 284 - the end of the Eighth Commandment section.

The basics:
- Where the sin is public, you may publicly testify concerning the sin.  "For where the sin is public, the reproof also must be public, that every one may learn to guard against it." Paragraph 284.
- No one is to speak evil of anyone, whether friend or foe, whether true or false, unless it be done by commandment of office or for his reformation.
- We are to use our tongues to speak well of our neighbor, just as we wish them to speak well of us.
- We are to wear whatever blemishes we find in our neighbor, and promote his honor in place of his blemishes.
- Put the best construction on anything we hear about our neighbor.
- "For there is nothing on or in entire man which can do both greater and more extensive good or harm in spiritual and in temporal matters than the tongue, though it is the least and feeblest member." Paragraph 290.

My thoughts today:
My husband and I listen to Table Talk Radio podcasts when we are on long car trips.  I couldn't help but sing a little song from them while reading this section.  I can't remember the exact words they used, but this is the way I sing it -

To the tune of Beyonce's Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It):
If you don't like it, you shoulda put the best construction on it.
Oh oh oh oh oh oh.
Oh oh oh oh oh oh.
All the sinful Lutherans, all the sinful Lutherans,
All the sinful Lutherans, all the sinful Lutherans,
All the sinful Lutherans, now put your hands up.

I am still laughing about that one, and I sing it around the house often - with full Beyonce dance moves.  You all totally wish you lived here now.  Never a dull moment.

Anyway, where was I?
Oh yes, putting the best construction on it.

We would all be so much better off if we just gave each other the benefit of the doubt more often.  Instead of assuming someone meant to hurt me, I should assume they were unaware of how I would react to a certain statement.  Instead of assuming those women were whispering about me, I should assume they have much more important things to discuss with each other than my wardrobe.

I loved the image in my mind when Luther spoke about taking our neighbor's blemishes and wearing them ourselves while promoting our neighbor's honor.  It is an image which points us to Christ - the One who took our blemishes as His own.  He is the King of putting the best construction on us.