Monday, October 27, 2014

Large Catechism: The Apostles' Creed Article 3, Part 3

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Apostles' Creed Article 3, Part 3: Click here and read 54-60.

The basics:
- In the Christian Church we have forgiveness of sin.
- Everything in the Christian Church is ordered so we shall daily obtain there nothing but the forgiveness of sin through the Word, to comfort and encourage our consciences.
- There is nothing but continuous, uninterrupted forgiveness of sin in the Christian Church - both in that God forgives us and in that we forgive, bear with, and help each other.
- Outside of the Christian Church, where the Gospel is not, there is no forgiveness, as also there can be no holiness or sanctification.  All who seek to merit holiness, not through the Gospel and forgiveness of sin, but by their works, have expelled and severed themselves from this Church.
- We expect that our flesh will be destroyed, and arise to perfect holiness in a new eternal life.
- In our eternal life, there will be no more forgiveness, but only perfectly pure and holy people, full of righteousness, removed and free from sin, death, and all evil, in a new, immortal, and glorified body.



My thoughts today:
There are a lot of reasons to love traditional Lutheran liturgy, but this section of the LC solidified in my mind why it is vitally important for the Church.

Because of the liturgy, I am able to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have heard, recited, and received the forgiveness of sins and the Gospel.  My husband is my pastor, so I know I am sure to get a pretty stellar Law and Gospel sermon, but let's just say for some unknown reason [cough, three small children, cough, OR cough, my own poor attention span, cough], I was unable to hear or even be present for the goodness of the sermon...

Even then, I know I still received the forgiveness of sin.  We read the Word, we repented, we were absolved, we sang hymns of the faith, we prayed the Psalms, we received Christ's Body and Blood in Communion.

Luther says EVERYTHING in the Christian Church is ordered so we obtain there nothing but the forgiveness of sin through the Word.  The liturgy is part of that order.

Without the liturgy, with the Word bleeding throughout it, I would not be as sure about what I had received.  The liturgy forces our sinful minds to stay focused back on the Word of God, because it is all from the Scriptures.

The order of the liturgy matches the order of our God.