Thursday, October 23, 2014

Large Catechism: The Apostles' Creed Article 3, Part 1

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Apostles' Creed Article 3, Part 1: Click here and read 34-46.

The basics:
- I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting.  Amen.
- This article relates to sanctification, because the Holy Ghost makes us holy.
- The Holy Ghost sanctifies us through the communion of saints or the Christian Church, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.  He leads us into His holy congregation, and places us in the bosom of the Church, where He preaches to us and brings us Christ.
- None of us could come to Christ on our own.
- Christ accomplished the work, but if it were to remain hidden, no one would receive it.  Therefore, God sends forth His Word to be preached through the Gospel, and the Holy Ghost delivers the work of Christ.
- What do you mean by the words: I believe in the Holy Ghost?  Answer: I believe that the Holy Ghost makes me holy, as His name implies.  What method does He use to accomplish this?  By the Christian Church, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.
- Luther discusses the misunderstanding of the Holy Ghost in the Roman Catholic Church, as they believe in personal works and merit.
- Where Christ is not preached, there is no Holy Ghost who creates, calls, and gathers the Christian Church, without which no one can come to Christ the Lord.

My thoughts today:
One of the greatest lessons I have been taught since entering the Lutheran church is that language matters.  The way I speak about my faith makes a big difference.

When I say that I came to Christ or invited him to live in my heart, I am putting the emphasis on my own work.  I did this.  Language matters.

When I say that all you need to do to be saved is ask God into your life and heart, I am putting the emphasis on your own work.  You need to do this.  Language matters.

In a culture obsessed with what you and I can do for ourselves, it is so refreshing to be freed from this burden in the Church.  It isn't about you, and it isn't about me.  It is about Him.  We are not the ones doing the action.  He is.  Language matters.

The Holy Ghost delivers Christ's completed work to us.  He brings me to church, He fills me with Gospel, He sends me out, He makes me holy, He will raise me from the dead, He will bring me to live eternally by His side.