Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Large Catechism: Conclusion of the Ten Commandments Part 1

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

Conclusion of the Ten Commandments Part 1: Click here and read 311 - 318.

The basics:
- The Ten Commandments cover everything which we are to do in order to please God and be considered a good work.  Outside of the Ten Commandments nothing can be a good work, no matter how good it is in the eyes of the world.
- Our hands our quite full trying to maintain even one of these commands.
- Meekness, patience, love toward enemies, chastity, and kindness are considered common domestic works, and are shown no regard in the eyes of the world.  It is believed that anyone could do them, so they are not precious.
- Luther disputes the idea of creating a higher calling than that of the Ten Commandments.  He says the works of priests, monks, and nuns are no greater than that of the poor girl who tends the little child faithfully.
- No man can get so far as to keep even one of the commands as it should be done.  The Apostle's Creed and Lord's Prayer come to our aid in asking for the power and strength to keep the commandments.
- Luther says you are to occupy yourselves only with the Ten Commandments [and no higher order of works we make up], and try your best, apply all power and ability.  You will find so much to do that you will never seek any other work or holiness.

My thoughts today:
I grew up in churches based out of the holiness movement and the ideas of John Wesley.  I live in great gratitude for the strong Bible memorization focus in those churches.  I literally memorized books of the Bible as a child.  Yes.  Memorized.  Books.  And again, I am so thankful for that foundation.

However, a focus was instilled in us to live a holy life, free from sin.

To aspire to such is a great work, but to state that one can actually live in holiness by actions is to put one on the same level with Christ.  Just as the Pharisees throughout scripture, we like to set up special rules to keep us holy.  Luther reminds us in this reading to occupy ourselves only with the Ten Commandments, and in doing so, you will find for yourself more than enough good works to keep you busy.  You need not create a bigger list.

But let us never go too far, my fellow Lutherans.  Let us not live up to the ideas others have of our faith - that we just go on sinning because we know we are free in the Gospel.  Nothing I have read from Luther in the Ten Commandments section says anything about it being okay to sin.  He says we can't even keep one of them, yes, but he says a million times that we should be trying to keep them.

Yes.  I said it.  I try not to sin.  I try to live a holy life.
All the while, I recognize I will never succeed.  I sin and fail daily.

The freedom I have in the Gospel comes in the knowledge of my failures.  I get to stand up with everyone else in my church and say, "We have not loved You with our whole heart.  We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves."
To hear, "I forgive you all your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit," dear Christians, is freeing.
To know that even though you have tried, you have failed.
To know that your family of believers and your pastor have done the same.
To admit it openly.  We have tried, and we have failed.  And yet we are forgiven.
There is freedom.