Thursday, October 16, 2014

Large Catechism: Conclusion of the Ten Commandments Part 2

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

Conclusion of the Ten Commandments Part 2: Click here and read 319 - 325.

The basics:
- Luther restates the promise added to the First Commandment - "For I the Lord, thy God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me, and showing mercy unto thousands of them that love Me and keep My commandments."
- Since all commandments are connected to the first, the promise can thereby be added to each commandment as well.
- This is an angry threat and a friendly promise.
- Thou shalt have no other gods before Me is explained in this demand: Thou shalt fear, love, and trust in Me as thine only true God.
- Where there is a heart able to do the First Commandment, it has fulfilled all the others.  However, whoever fears and loves anything else in heaven or earth will not keep any commands.

My thoughts today:
In reference to keeping the First Commandment:
"...whoever fears and loves anything else in heaven and upon earth will keep neither this nor any." Paragraph 324.

Tis true, Luther.  Every sin I commit boils down to one simple yet profound commandment: Thou shalt have no other gods.

The god of time.
The god of language.
The god of authority.
The god of hatred.
The god of sex.
The god of belongings.
The god of gossip.
The god of desire.

I have served too many gods in my life, and my God is a jealous one.
But my God is also a merciful One.  He rains down blessings onto thousands of generations of those who keep His commands.

And you know who keeps His commands?
Christ.
And you know who grafted me into His family?
Christ.
So, you know who I descended from?
Christ.

You see, the promises God gives us always point us to Christ.  He is the answer to every Law and the focus of all Gospel.  Without Him, I fall into that first category with the "those who hate Me" crowd.  But through Him, I become one of the holy ones.