Thursday, October 30, 2014

Large Catechism: The Lord's Prayer Introduction, Part 2

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Lord's Prayer Introduction, Part 2: Click here and read 12-21.

The basics:
- On our account prayer would amount to nothing, but He has commanded it. Therefore everybody should always come before God in obedience to this commandment.
- It is disobedient to do prayer for the work of it, but expect it may not be heard. That is staking prayer on risk, and therefore it is a lost prayer.
- No matter the holiness of the man, prayer is still commanded.  It is commanded as much for St. Paul as it is for me.
- Our prayers are precious, holy, and pleasing to God.  God does not regard prayer on account of the person, but on account of His word and obedience to it.
- All our prayers must be based and rest upon obedience to God, irrespective of our person, whether we be sinners or saints, worthy or unworthy.
- If God did not intend to answer our prayers, He would not command that we pray.
- God promises it shall be done as we pray.  Psalm 50:15 and Matthew 7:7.
- "This you can hold up to Him and say: Here I come, dear Father, and pray, not of my own purpose nor upon my own worthiness, but at Thy commandment and promise, which cannot fail or deceive me." Paragraph 21.

My thoughts today:
Here are a few quotes from today that I need to pin up on the fridge for reminding.  If I was awesome, I would make you free printables. We all know that is what awesome bloggers do.

I am no awesome blogger.  So, you just get the words.  Do some old school WordArt to it, and you got yourself a printable.  And it's free!

"Here I come, dear Father, and pray, not of my own purpose nor upon my own worthiness, but at Thy commandment and promise, which cannot fail or deceive me."

"My prayer is as precious, holy, and pleasing to God as that of St. Paul or of the most holy saints...For I gladly grant that he is holier in his person, but not on account of the commandment; since God does not regard prayer on account of the person, but on account of His word and obedience thereto."

"...I pray for the same thing for which [the saints] all pray and ever have prayed; besides, I have just as great a need of it as those great saints, yea, even a greater one than they."