Friday, January 31, 2014

Reality: On the Loss of an Unborn Child

I kind of hate this time of year.  There are too many reasons to remember things that sometimes feel much better being forgotten.

I have been pregnant three times.  Each time, I found out in late December/early January.  Life is funny (or actually dreadfully unfunny) that way.  Each of my last two pregnancies have ended with a baby to snuggle.  Each have arrived in late August/early September.  Both are wonderful joys.

But not my first.

My first ended with no baby to snuggle.  The first time I was pregnant, I found out on January 11, 2010.  By February 24, 2010, our child had died.  Now, all those days constantly remind me of what was.  I remember my husband kissing our belly and saying, "I love you," when we first knew of our child's existence.  I remember walking hand-in-hand to our first ultrasound, joyous to see a heartbeat...which we never saw.  I remember feeling robbed of a life we had started planning.  I remember people trying to say the right things, some succeeding...most failing.

I remember.

My whole body remembers.

It has remembered every detail with each of my two subsequent pregnancies.  They followed the same timeline, same due dates approximately, same milestones.  Every ultrasound a terrible reminder.  Every heartbeat heard with joy and sorrow.  Every child born with the hope I would never stop remembering and yet dying to forget.

I know I have the hope of the resurrection.  I know I do not mourn like those who have no hope.

I know those things.

When friends I know have lost children or I am told of a miscarriage, I answer with those things.  Those words are needed.

But so is the freedom to just mourn.  This is a freedom our culture tries to steal away from parents who have suffered through miscarriages.  I refuse to let them steal it away from me.  I will cry.  I will remember.  I will talk about it.

My child deserves to be remembered.  Every child does.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.