Monday, April 14, 2014

Reality: God is invited to your private group.

This isn't going to take long to share, but when it is over, I probably won't be invited to anymore private facebook groups.  I am probably better off

We tend to believe that facebook privacy settings are impenetrable in groups.  We speak openly and honestly about how we really feel about life's everyday situations.  The truth is that honesty is great except sometimes it shows just how ugly we really are.  

And when I say we, I mean we - me and you.  

True honesty sometimes means we complain verbally (or online) about things we probably ought keep in our own brain.  True honesty sometimes means we say others should be better to us even when we haven't been better to them.  True honesty sometimes means we jump on the bandwagon of putting someone else down even when we don't know the person or the details or the two sides of every story.  True honesty sometimes makes our inner sinful selves pretty apparent.  

Because when we are honest, we admit all that yucky sin that lurks within.

And the worst thing is we say qualifying statements to make it seem okay.

I just need to vent...
I know this is a private group, so I can say this here...

Then we finish off by speaking ill of someone else.  Shame on us.  That person is one for whom Christ died.  In many cases, that person is one Christ gave us in some capacity - a husband, a pastor, a congregation member, a friend.

The truth is...

I do want to vent sometimes.  Sometimes I have been wronged.  Sometimes I am overwhelmed.  
But most of the time, I just want to sin against someone else by talking about them to make myself feel better.
It always ends up bad for them and bad for me.
When will I ever learn?

We can set the privacy settings as high as we want, let's not kid ourselves, God is still invited.  So, before posting that comment, try to put the best construction on the situation and the person.  Give people the benefit of the doubt.  Speak of the situation in a way that you would be willing to stand behind in person.  Consider the forgiveness you have been granted and extend it.

And when I fail at my own advice, I will seek forgiveness from my merciful Father and from those whom I have hurt.

And His forgiveness is guaranteed.  It was won for me and for you when Christ humbled Himself, when Christ took all the hurtful words we would ever speak or type (publically or privately) and counted them as His own, when Christ died for us.  He sits at His Father's right hand telling Him how pure and innocent we are and His Father agrees because we are washed in His blood.  Now, that is the truth.