Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reality: Serve My Event or Be Served.

So, I have been going to the same baker for five years.  He makes the most amazing cupcakes and cookies.  His cakes are to die for.  I sort of wish I never knew about his shop, because I would be a lot thinner.  It is that awesome.

I went in and asked him to make me a cake for our church's 100th year anniversary that was decorated with the words, "Preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ for 100 Years!"

He said, "I really appreciate your business and thank you for your confidence in my baking.  I can't make that cake for you, though.  I really wouldn't feel comfortable celebrating that particular event due to my own beliefs.  I hope you can understand, but I would love to see you back next week for your weekly cupcake."

OK, so that didn't really happen.  Truth is, I don't know any bakers personally, although I wish I did.
I might be a lot happier with all the cupcakes...

I am just trying to make sense of a thought-process I don't understand -

The one that says, "Every person in the world has to accept and celebrate every single aspect of my life, and if they choose to be against something about my character or identity, their company still has to make cakes for my events celebrating that identity.  If they don't, I will sue them."

That way of thinking is just so foreign to me.  I would simply say to my baker, "Oh, ok, no problem."
It would not even cross my mind to consider suing someone over something like that.  Now, if they kicked me out of their bakery because I wore a crucifix around my neck or came in with my husband in his collar, well, then I might make a big stink over things to at least let others know that he was rude, inconsiderate, and hated Christians.

But because they wouldn't bake a cake for my church's anniversary?

I might even choose to stop buying my weekly cupcakes at his shop and go give my weekly money to someone who was more supportive of my lifestyle, but I certainly wouldn't use force to make him bake me a cake.

The only possible reason I can come up with in my brain for why I would choose to sue someone over this is because I wanted to make a mockery of them.  I wanted others to know how horrible I thought they were.  I didn't want anyone else to ever be turned down for that cake again.  I didn't want anyone to think it was okay to disagree with a Christian event for any reason.  And I really wanted that cake from that guy.  By his choice or by the force of court.

And it was worth ruining someone's whole lively hood to do so.
Chances are he would either have to make me that cake and go against what he had believed his whole life or quit selling cakes altogether.

And because of my anger over the injustice of someone not agreeing with this particular event in my life, it all seemed worth it.

And because of my anger, I don't even want that guy to have the right to defend himself in court over his beliefs.  Game. Set. Match.  Make me a cake for my church or go home.

If someone won't let me shop at their bakery because I am a Christian, that is one thing.  If someone won't make a cake for an event celebrating my Christianity, that is a totally different thing.

I will never understand why this world thinks those are the same two things...
And why our first inclination is to assume the worst about them, vilify them in public, and take them to court - no matter the cost to them.

And worse yet, why we would ever go searching out these non-Christian bakers so that we can then be denied services and prove to the world that we will stop at nothing to have someone bake us a cake for our church's anniversary.  Accept my faith or find another profession...just don't choose photography or catering or invitation designing or, you know, anything else, or we will be back.