Sunday, September 15, 2013

Reality: Two Plus One

I don't think I hid the fact that I was slightly terrified of having another child.  I love children and I will continue to welcome them joyfully - biologically and through adoption - if God so chooses.  However, the thought of two plus one (I couldn't hardly even say three for awhile) was overwhelming.

I was tired before two plus one.
I was reaching my limits before two plus one.
I was sure I had no energy left before two plus one.
I was questioning my parenting skills before two plus one.

So, now that I am three weeks into the world of two plus one, what is it really like?

Well, shockingly, not that different.  I have had a number of friends tell me that the transition from one to two is much harder than any other transition after two.  I can honestly agree, based on my three whole weeks of experience.  Ask me again in another three weeks and maybe life will have changed.  But as for now...

I was tired before two plus one.  I am still tired.  Not more.  Not less.
I was reaching my limits before two plus one.  I am reaching my limits now.  My limits just changed.
I was sure I had no energy left before two plus one.  I still have just enough now.
I was questioning my parenting skills before two plus one.  Let's be honest - I will always do that.

The thing is, I was tired when I had no children and when I had one, and when I had one plus one, and now.
I was reaching my limits, I had no energy left, and I questioned my parenting skills (even before one came along).  The children weren't really the difference.

When I had one, I carried around a huge, overly filled and stocked, diaper bag.  Now, I carry a huge, just filled with essentials for three, diaper bag.  No more weight on my shoulders.

When I had one, I pushed around a stroller.  Now, I push around a double stroller with two plus one on it.  No extra strollers or stragglers to struggle with.

When I had one, I was covered in spit-up and was never prepared.  Now, I have a change of clothes for every family member in the van.  No smelling like spit-up in public for me anymore.

So, with three - there, I said it - THREE children, my life seems pretty much the same...

Only filled with a little more preparation, a little more tardiness, and much much much more love.