Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Large Catechism: Holy Baptism, Of Infant Baptism Part 1

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

Holy Baptism, Of Infant Baptism Part 1: Click here and read 47-57.

The basics:
- Luther addresses the question of whether children can believe and thus receive a just baptism.
- If God did not accept the baptism of infants, He would not give the Holy Ghost nor any of His gifts to any of them who are baptized as infants.  It is plain to see this is not the case, and many who are baptized as infants are sanctified, and you are able to see God's gifts in their doctrine and life.
- God can never be opposed to Himself, or support falsehood and wickedness, or for its promotion impart His grace and Spirit.  Therefore, the simplest answer to this question is that He cannot be against infant baptism, or no one would receive His gifts through it.
- Baptism is nothing else than water and the Word of God in and with each other.  When the Word is added to the water, Baptism is valid, even though faith be wanting.  Our faith does not make Baptism, but receives it.
- Even if infants did not believe [which is not the case], their Baptism is still valid, and no one should rebaptize them.  How dare we think that God's Word and ordinance should be wrong and invalid?
- Luther gives us the words to say in regards to our Baptism if we did not believe it was valid - "The baptism indeed was right, but I, alas! did not receive it aright. I come hither in my faith and in that of others, yet I cannot rest in this, that I believe, and that many people pray for me; but in this I rest, that it is Thy Word and command."
- We bring infants in the hope that they believe, and we pray God may grant them faith; but we do not baptize them upon that, but solely upon the command of God.

My thoughts today:

I know people who question the validity of their own infant Baptisms due to their poor, sinful, non-church affiliated lives they led between their Baptism and their new return to the church.

Luther says, "We bring the child in the conviction and hope that it believes, and we pray that God may grant it faith; but we do not baptize it upon that, but solely upon the command of God.  Why so?  Because we know that God does not lie. I and my neighbor and, in short, all men, may err and deceive, but the Word of God cannot err."

And should the child fall away quickly or fall away as an adult, how dare we think that God's Word and ordinance should be wrong and invalid?

No!  "The Baptism indeed was right, but I, alas! did not receive it aright.  I come hither in my faith and in that of others, yet I cannot rest in this, that I believe, and that many people pray for me; but in this I rest, that it is Thy Word and command."

In other words,

God, I believe You did what You said You did at that font, even though I fell away.  You do not lie.  I, though, I err and deceive.  And even though I believe, I don't rest in my own beliefs.  I rest in Your Word and command.