Monday, December 1, 2014

Large Catechism: The Sacrament of the Altar, Part 3

Read the Large Catechism with me.  
Ten-minute studies on short readings from the Large Catechism.  
Let's do this.
Click on the link below and read the short assigned reading.  Then, if you have time, check out what I have to say about it.  If not, no problem.  Just soak up the goodness of the LC.

The Sacrament of the Altar, Part 3: Click here and read 33-42.

The basics:
- In this section Luther describes the person who receives the benefits of this Sacrament.  "Whoever believes it has what the words declare and bring."
- Whoever does not believe the words has nothing, as he allows it to be offered to him in vain, and refuses to enjoy such a saving good.
- Fasting and prayer before receiving this Sacrament are a good preparation and discipline, that the body may keep and bear itself modestly and reverently towards the body and blood of Christ; but what is given in and with it the body cannot take for itself, but this is done by the faith of the heart.
- Luther addresses those who believe they do not need to take this Sacrament due to the freedom from the laws of the Pope, their own strength as Christians with no need of it, and their belief that it is a matter of liberty and not necessary.
- While it is true that no one should be coerced or compelled to partake, but it must be known that people who deprive themselves of it and withdraw from it are not to be considered Christians.  Christ did not institute it to be treated as a show, but commanded His Christians to eat and drink it, and thereby remember Him.

My thoughts today:

In the introduction to the section about the Sacrament of the Altar, Luther said, "For it is not our intention to admit to it and to administer it to those who know not what they seek, or why they come."

This quote has been running through my mind the past few days.  In the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod we practice closed Communion [only those instructed and confessing in the faith of our church are given the Sacrament].  This isn't very popular, and it certainly is a cause of great dismay for many pastors.  And not because they disagree with it, but because it is so terribly hard to describe in a one-minute-before-church-conversation with people they have never met.  It can seem mean and inhospitable or very high-churchy and smug to those who have taken Communion in their own denomination their whole life.


"Why would you not invite me?"

And believe me, I get it.  I was catechized in college and attended LCMS churches and Bible studies for a year and a half without taking Communion.  I am kind of slow sometimes and it took me a lot of studying to finally admit that maybe "is" does mean "is."

Someone should have made me read the Large Catechism...   HA!

Anyway, I have no doubt that I was a Christian before becoming Lutheran - I believed Jesus died on the cross for the forgiveness of my sins and I regularly attended church to hear His Word preached.  However, a large number of Christians have been instructed in churches which do not teach "is" means "is."  I was one of those Christians.

I have no doubt I would have gone to heaven, so it isn't a "you aren't going to heaven" kind of statement from the pastor.

It is a, "For it is not our intention to admit to it and to administer it to those who know not what they seek, or why they come" thing.

It is a, "Whoever believes it has what the words declare and bring" thing.

I was not a Christian who knew what I went to the altar seeking in Holy Communion.  I had no reason to believe it was the true body and blood of Christ, because I had never been instructed that way.  I didn't know what the words declare and bring.

So, if it isn't a matter of whether or not you will be in heaven, then why can't you just take Communion with us?  Well, because divisions in the church matter.  Words matter. Language matters.  God's Word and the clear proclamation of all of His commands matter.

It is part of my husband's (and all pastors') responsibility to ensure that those whom he welcomes to the Table of the Lord know what they come seeking - chiefly the true body and blood of Christ for the forgiveness of sins.  For it is not my husband's table, but the Table of the Lord.  It is not my husband's invitation, but the command of our Lord - This is My body.  This is My blood.  Do this in remembrance of Me.


And that, folks, is a huge responsibility - one that pastors do not take lightly, and let us all thank God that He has given us men who bear this load for us.